Investing in the best pool pump for above-ground pools will improve the water quality. A pool pump helps circulate and filter the water to leave the pool crystal clear by removing dirt & debris.Pool owners can find a ton of options out there. But you can’t just go for any pumps available in the market.
Fortunately, we broke down how to calculate the flow rate and head in the ‘Buying Guide’ section.
To pick the right pump upgrade or replacement for your above-ground pool, you should consider the accurate flow rate & head. If you know the flow rate and the head, you can easily determine which pump you should choose.
On the other hand, you can consider the Harris H1572730 if your schedule is jam-packed with a lot of tasks. It provides superior suction to filter out the pool water optimally. Therefore, this powerful pump is efficient, quiet to operate, and long-lasting. And of course, it will not break your bank like other big-name brands.
Like this one, our editorial team also reviewed other high-performance replacement pool pumps for your above-ground pool. So, keep scrolling to check out all of them.
- Here Are Our Top Swimming Pool Pump for Above Ground Pool At A Glance
- 01. Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series Above-Ground Pool Pump – Best Multi-functional
- 02. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump – Best Overall
- 03. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump – Best Premium
- 04. Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pumps – Best Value
- 05. Blue Wave NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump
- What are the 3 Best Replacement Pump for Intex Pool
- How To Choose The Best Pool Pump for Above-Ground Pool
- Final Verdict
Here Are Our Top Swimming Pool Pump for Above Ground Pool At A Glance
- Best Multi-functional: Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series Above-Ground Pool Pump
- Best Overall: Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump
- Best Premium: Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump
- Best Value: Doheny's Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pumps
- Honorable Recommendation: Blue Wave NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump
01. Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series Above-Ground Pool Pump – Best Multi-functional
Power Consumption: 1.0HP- 0.50 HP
Warranty: 3 Months
Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series Pool Pump is the best multi-functional pool pump for above-ground and in-ground pools. It features a 1.5HP powerful motor, which generates enough suction to draw water from your swimming pool to filter out dirt & debris.
The 1.5 powerful motor helps spin the high-performance impeller and draws pool water from the pool to the filter. As the water goes through the basket, the strainer basket catches the dirt & debris and prevents that dirt from going into the filter. It doesn’t only increase the efficiency of the filter but also adds longevity to the filter.
Forget to mention that, this Hayward above-ground pool pump features a strainer basket with a clear cover or lid. As a result, you can see when you need to clean the basket. On top of this, it also comes with a drain plug for easy maintenance of the pump.
Now, let’s move on to its durability. The housing of this pump uses corrosion-proof reinforced thermoplastic to endure the wear & tear of the outdoor environment. So, you don’t need to worry about its longevity.
- The double-sided seal prevents water from entering the motor, which prolongs the motor life.
- Advanced engineering boosts up performance & reduces operating noise
- Come with thermal overload protection to shut off the motor automatically under abnormal conditions
- Some users complain that it’s a bit challenging to open the lid.
02. Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump – Best Overall
Power Consumption: 1.5 HP
Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty
Harris ProForce is the best pool pump for above-ground pools. We ranked it as best overall due to its superior pumping performance, durability, and ease of maintenance. Though it delivers you premium performance, this pump doesn’t cost you a leg and arm as many big-name brands do. Indeed, the Harris ProForce Pool Pump is unbeatable both from the view of price and performance.
This 1.5 hp above-ground pool pump is powerful enough to move the water from your pool. When the water passes through it, the strainer basket captures the dirt & debris. In return, dust and particles fail to go into your pool filter, boosting the filtering performance.
For convenience, this above-ground pool pump features a see-through filter basket. Due to this, you don’t need to depend on the guess workflow to clean the strainer basket.
When it comes to durability, the Harris Pool Pump just beats every pool pump in the market. The housing of this pump is made of reinforced thermoplastic, which shields the pump from outdoor wear & tear. Besides, it produces minimal noise when operating due to its advanced built-in quality.
- Easy to clean
- Deliver superior performance
- Unbeatable price
- No on/off switch
03. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump – Best Premium
Power Consumption: 1.50 HP
Warranty: 2 Years for Parts and One Year for Labor
If budget is nothing to you but performance, durability, and convenience are everything, don’t hesitate to go for the Hayward Super Pump. From construction to efficiency, this pool pump is just a workhorse. It delivers optimum pumping performance without consuming a lot of electricity.
Though it features a 1.5 hp motor, you can use this pool pump for every pool type & size. Unlike other pool pumps, the Super Pump features a high-efficient Noryl impeller. It will create higher flow rates at less horsepower, which saves you money as it consumes less electricity.
Therefore, this pool pump has a large strainer basket (110 cubic-inch) to hold extra dirt, debris, and leaves. So, you don’t need to empty the basket frequently. And the best part is- it has a see-through basket lid that lets you know the cleaning time, eliminating the guesswork.
Above this, the strainer basket swings-aside hand knobs to make the lid remover workflow a breeze. In other words, you can easily take on and off the lid cover for emptying the basket.
Turns out, this pool pump uses corrosion-proof PermaGlass XL construction to ensure extra durability and long life.
- Ensure cooler & quieter operation powered by a high-efficient motor
- Convenient to remove the strainer cover
- Easy to clean
- Service-ease design gives simple access to all internal components
- You may struggle to open the lid as it screws with four nuts.
04. Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pumps – Best Value
Power Consumption: 1.50 HP
Warranty: 1 Year
Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pro Swimming Pool Pumps will be your best trait if you are on a budget. The 1.5 hp motor will provide dependable performance without consuming a lot of electricity.
Like the top brands, this pool pump is built extremely well. So, it serves you for a long time by pumping the water efficiently. On top of this, advanced engineering minimizes the operating noise. So, it doesn’t kill the pleasure of swimming if you install it near your pool.
The only downside is- it has no on/off switch. Every time you run or want to shut down the unit, you should plug or unplug the cord. However, it doesn’t affect the performance of the pool pump.
- Made of the reinforced thermoplastic body for extra durability
- Efficient and quiet to operate
- Affordable price
- A bit annoying to plug & unplug the power cord
05. Blue Wave NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump
Power Consumption: 1.50 HP
Warranty: 1 Year
Blue Wave NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump is another reliable pool pump you can consider for your above-ground pool. Flexible installation is the best feature we spot out of this pump. Thanks to its dual-port design, which makes it a breeze to mount it vertically or horizontally.
Like the top-rated pumps, the Blue Wave Pump is durable. It uses polymer construction, which can resist corrosion. So, you don’t need to worry about its longevity as it can handle outdoor wear & tear optimally.
Cleaning the pump will be a breeze. It features a clear lid to let you see how much dirt is in the strainer basket and when you need to empty it.
The shortcoming is- it requires adapters to work with your above-ground pool. And it costs you extra bucks to get the adapter.
- Flexible to install
- Quiet to operate
- Convenient to clean
- Come with no on/off switch
What are the 3 Best Replacement Pump for Intex Pool
The five pool pumps mentioned above will not work with your Intex above-ground pools. So, we recommend three Intex cartridge filter pumps that will go with your Intex easy-set or metal frame pools.
1. Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump- Best For Larger Easy Set Pools
If you have an Intex pool of up to 6000 gallons of water, Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump will be your best trait. It delivers a pump flow rate of 1000 gallons and a system flow rate of 750 gallons per hour. As a result, this cartridge filter pump can filter & circulate the water like a charm to leave your pool crystal clear.
Hydro Aeration Technology is the best feature of this filter pump. This technology delivers the following benefits:
- Improved circulation and filtration- When the aeration process is running, debris & particles will settle down to the bottom of your pool. In return, it makes it easy to remove the waste through the filtration system.
- Improved water clarity- The aeration process also induces the oxidation of iron and manganese. In return, the water of your pool looks sparkling.
- Increase negative ions at the water surface.
Ease of installation & maintenance is a notable advantage you can count. Just hook the hose up & plugin, and you are ready to go. Maintaining the pool filter is also simple. Rinse the cartridge occasionally or swap it to keep the pump running strongly.
- Simple to install
- Easy to clean
- Replaceable cartridge
- Some users complain that the fitment requires some form of adaptation.
2. Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump- Best For Intex Metal Frame Pools
Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump is the best pump for metal frame pools. It provides a pump flow rate of 1500-gallon and a system flow rate of 1180-gallon per hour. Due to this high flow rate, this pump circulates the water evenly and leaves the pool clean.
Therefore, the aeration technology of this pump will help to enhance water circulation & filtration, water clarity, and maximize negative ions.
The auto 24-Hour timer is the remarkable feature of this Intex cartridge filter pump by providing maximum flow while reducing energy cost. You can set the time from two hours to twelve hours. Regarding this, you should set the dial to your desired operating hours and walk away. The pump will stop after the operating hours are completed.
- Filter & circulate the water evenly
- Convenient to clean
- Simple to install
- Some users complain the automatic timer turns on at the same time every day, no matter what time you set
3. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump- Best For Metal Frame Pools
Do you have a large Intex above-ground pool up to 15,200 gallons of water to filter? Then, the Intex 28633EG Cartridge Filter Pump will be your best pick. It provides a pump flow rate of 2500 gallons of water per hour. Because of this higher flow rate, this filter pump will leave your pool crystal clear by filtering & circulating the water optimally.
This Intex filter pump features a strainer basket, which catches the dirt & debris and prevents them from entering the pump. It maximizes the filtering efficiency as well as adds longevity to your pump.
Now, let’s talk about the durability of this pool pump. The heavy-duty tank uses durable plastic as its construction material. Due to this, it can resist corrosion, which prolongs the pump life.
Like the Intex 28635EG, it also features a timer with a 2-12 hours cycle. Just set the time and leave it. Your pool pump will stop automatically after the operating cycle ends.
- Made of durable plastic to maximize the life of the pump
- Convenient to clean as it features washable and replaceable filter cartridge
- Easy to install
- Pump openings are too big
How To Choose The Best Pool Pump for Above-Ground Pool
Take the following considerations into account before choosing the right pool pump for your above-ground pool.
Flow Rate & Head
Flow rate and head are the two main criteria that play into determining what size pool pump you need for a pool. The flow rate means the amount of water moved in a given time, and it’s measured in GPM. And the head refers to the resistance amount to flow that exists in your swimming pool plumbing system. Every pump manufacturer provides detailed information about flow rate & head so that you can decide what pump you should pick.
Below, we will break down how to calculate the flow rate & head.
Calculating the flow rate:
- Know how much water your pool holds
- Divide your pool’s total capacity by the number of hours you wish per turnover.
- Finally, divide the number by 60 to get the flow rate
For example, your pool capacity is 30000 gallons. And your desired turnover rate is 5. So, the flow rate will be: (15,000/5) = 3,000 gallons per hour/60 = 50 GPM.
Calculating the head:
- Determine the total amount of pipe you need from the pump to the pool return.
- Cut the number of pipes you need in half if you use a filter.
- If the return line pipe changes in diameter, use percentage to measure the change and add that amount of feet in your calculation.
- You should add 1-2 feet head if the piping turns 90 degrees.
- You need to add around 2-12 feet of the head if there are other items along the pool line.
You can find three main types of pumps depending on the speed- single, dual, and variable.
A single-speed pump has only one speed and it constantly runs at full speed. You can’t adjust the flow rate of water. We recommend you not to get this pump as it’s not energy-efficient. Therefore, many states like California don’t allow their citizens to use a single-speed pump.
On the other hand, a dual-speed can be run at low and high speed. But, it requires the same amount of amperage though you can operate at a lower speed.
Thirdly, a variable speed pump allows you to adjust the flow rate according to your need. You can run it at a lower speed for an extended time. We suggest you get a variable pump as it is energy efficient pump, which will reduce the energy cost significantly.
Every speed setting has an ideal difference on variable-speed pool pumps in a certain condition. It’s a great option if you want to drain your pool and need to clean your algae.
No one loves to spoil their pleasant time in their swimming pool with the humming noise of the pool pump. You should choose a pump that makes comparatively low noise when maintaining peak performance.
What type of pool you have in your backyard is another criterion you should consider. Not every pool pump is designed to fit both above-ground and in-ground pools. Check out the product description part to see whether the pump works with the above-ground pool or not. Fortunately, every pump we enlisted works with your above-ground pool.
This is the indispensable thing you must take into account. At the end of the day, you want to get a cartridge or sand filter pump that will filter & circulate the water evenly. How optimally a pump will pump the water depends on the horsepower. Fortunately, every pump we mentioned comes with a 1.5 hp motor. It generates enough power to circulate the water to leave your pool crystal clear.
The longevity of the pool pump will depend on the construction material. Choose a pump that uses reinforced thermoplastic that can resist corrosion. Fortunately, most pool pumps we recommend are made of durable & heavy-duty thermoplastic. So, you don’t need to worry about their longevity.
Ease of Cleaning
Each of the pool pumps we included comes with a see-through strainer basket. So, you can see when you need to clean it by removing the dirt and dust from the basket. When it gets filled with debris, just open the lid and clean the strainer dirt holder.
Ease of Installation
Every pool pump on this list comes with all the accessories you need to install the pump. Plus, each of the pumps provides you with clear instructions on installation. Just follow the guideline and install the pump.
Based on performance, durability, ease of clean, and price-point, we recommend the Harris H1572730 ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump most.
Secondly, you can go for the Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series Above-Ground Pool Pump. It is also durable as the housing of this pump uses corrosion-proof reinforced thermoplastic.
And last, you can pick the Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump if the budget doesn’t matter to you. Though the initial cost is high, you can save a lot of bucks in the long run as it requires less electricity to operate.